Australia is located in the South Pacific so its weather seasons are opposite of the United States. If you travel to Australia during North America’s winter, it will actually be summer in Australia. How does having two summers in a row sound? While temperatures in the north remain tropical year round in cities like Cairns, in Sydney, Brisbane and Perth summers are very warm while the winters are mild. The farther south you travel, the colder it will be in the winter. The cyclone season, which produces the biggest and best waves for Australia, is generally between the months of February and August.

Australia is the premier destination for studies thanks to its world-class universities, tropical climate, traveler friendly exchange rates, and its many adventures. You will find that your home university accepts credits from most if not all of the 43 fully accredited universities in Australia. A few of the unique educational opportunities include surfing, Australian history, and criminal profiling classes. Some universities are located within walking distance to the beach while others are in urban cities like Sydney and Perth.

The cost of living favors the majority of students from other countries. Your plane ticket will be the worst deal you get. Food, accommodation, and entertainment are generally less expensive thanks to the US Dollar’s strength over the Australian Dollar. However, Australian currency is increasing its strength and for further details check the conversion ratio before you leave. One of the most exciting aspects of choosing to study in Australia is the many adventures that await you. Whether you choose to scuba dive the Great Barrier Reef, surf the famous waves of the Gold Coast or go camping in the bush with some kangaroos (Australian slang for the Outback), the time you spend in the land down will be of worth it.

Education System

Each state government manages the school system within their state. This means that they provide funds and regulation for their schools. Both public schools and private schools exist in each state. The curriculum taught in each state or school may vary but the learning areas are the same in all.

 Type of Institutes:

 Primary and secondary schools: : This is equivalent to 10+2 education or Proficiency Level in Nepal. Certification at the end of schooling is by continuous assessment within the schools or by a combination of internal assessment and public examinations. These procedures form the basis for qualification for entry to universities or other tertiary institutions.

Foundation Studies: Foundation studies give international students the knowledge and skills for a smooth transition from learning in their home country to undergraduate studies in Australian universities. Foundation Studies are usually one year in duration and students are assessed and examined by their lecturers. Foundation studies are divided into various streams like arts and science studies. The common feature of foundation studies is that a university allocates a provisional place in an undergraduate course for a student who achieves the prescribed grades.

 English Language Schools (ELICOS): These are specifically for people who come to Australia to study English either for educational purposes or for other reasons. The Australian system of English language training is known as English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS). There are a range of courses including General English; English for Special Purposes; Vacation Courses; and Examination Preparation. The starting dates of courses are fairly frequent and they generally run from 4 to 10 weeks. Many universities and TAFE institutes have ELICOS centres attached to their campuses.

 Vocational Education and Training Institutes: Vocational education and training (VET) gives students practical skills for their careers. The VET sector is divided into two sections: a nationally recognised government system of Technical and Further Education (TAFE); and private providers. TAFE is the largest provider of tertiary education courses in Australia with about 250 institutes and over a million students including about 41,000 international students. The awards in VET sector are: certificates, advanced certificates, associate diplomas, and diplomas. Typically, a VET/TAFE course takes two years of study. Studying at TAFE level is also a way of gaining entry – termed a pathway – to Australia’s universities. Most TAFE institutes have arrangements with specific universities, enabling students to gain credit for a portion of their study undertaken at TAFE. The VET courses include computing, design, pilot training, business management, hospitality and tourism and many other courses.

Universities (higher education): There are 43 universities in Australia (40 Australian universities, 2 international universities, and 1 private specialty university), which offer both undergraduate and postgraduate programs. The most popular courses of study for international students have been in the fields of Business, Administration and Economics, followed by Science, then Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences. A Bachelor degree generally takes three years, and can also be done in only two years in some universities with fewer days holiday. The majority of the structures offer the opportunity to combine two qualifications in that you will be able to finish a university with a two qualifications or a “Double Degree” by studying one more year. For example: Bachelor Degree of IT & Business in 4 years. After finishing an undergraduate degree, you can get then continue on to a graduate degree either in Master or PhD. The Master and Doctorate are intensive studies and in general include research with supervision. In general, the time of duration of the Graduate Certificates is 6 months, Master is 1 year, Master Honor is 1.5 year, and Doctorate is 3 years. However these degrees are not measured by time but by subjects/ courses taken, therefore depending on how many subjects/courses you are doing per semester, it may impact the time it takes to complete them. Most of these postgraduate courses however, do have a time limit to complete.

You can find out more about each State and Territory education system by viewing their web sites.

See –All are links:

Australian Capital Territory Department of Education and Training

New South Wales Department of Education and Training

Department of Education and Training

Education Queensland

South Australia Department of Education and Children’s Services

Tasmania Department of Education

Victoria Department of Education and Training

Western Australia Department of Education and Training

 Work Permit

International students studying in Australia on a student visa can apply for permission to work once they commence their course. A visa with permission to work enables you to work up to 40 hours a fortnight on a casual basis during course time and full-time during vacation periods. In some cases, family members can also apply for permission to work up to 40 hours a week throughout the year.

Most students take part-time or casual jobs at some time during their studies. Some jobs are closely tied to courses of study (such as formal cadetships and informal arrangements such as part-time work by law students in solicitors’ offices). Some students tutor schoolchildren or get jobs on campus in the canteen, the bookshop, in the institution’s offices and as laboratory assistants. Some jobs are entirely outside the education community such as bartending, babysitting, gardening, hospitality, sales, information technology, restaurants, checkout work or fruit picking.

Australia Visa

You can be granted a student visa only if you wish to undertake a registered course or part of a registered course on a full-time basis. A registered course is an education or training course offered by an Australian education provider who is registered with the Australian Government to offer courses to overseas students.

You may undertake any course of study for less than three months on a visitor visa or working holiday visa. If you intend to study for more than three months, you must apply for a student visa.

There are advantages to applying for a student visa. If you are studying on a student visa you:

  • have access to Australia’s subsidized student health cover
  • are able to study for more than three months
  • are generally able to change status to an overseas student in Australia,
  • can also apply for permission to work.

Nepalese students wanting to study in Australia can apply for a student visa after they have received Confirmation of Enrolment (COE) in relation to one or more full-time courses of study. Generally, an international student is issued with a multiple entry visa for the duration of their study course in Australia. This allows you to travel backwards and forwards to Australia within the period for which it has been granted. Members of your immediate family (spouse and unmarried dependent children under 18 years of age) may accompany you to Australia and will be considered in the same visa class as yourself. If you wish to extend your stay in Australia for further study, you will need to lodge an application for a further visa.

For a student visa, you will need to show the following:

  • Confirmation of Enrolment (COE) from the school, college or university
  • Valid passport
  • Medical report showing your good health
  • Proof of having paid Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for Australia

You should be aware of the conditions of your visa:

  • You must leave Australia when your visa has expired
  • Your visa is not valid for permanent residency of Australia or New Zealand
  • You must satisfy course requirements and continue your enrolment
  • While studying you can work up to 20 hours a week and full-time during vacation time
  • Health insurance must be paid for the full stay in Australia

 Streamlined Visa Processing (SVP): SVP has been introduced from 24 March 2012. Under the streamlined student visa processing arrangements, eligible student visa applicants from participating universities and eligible non-university higher education providers are assessed as though they are a lower immigration risk, irrespective of their country of origin. If you are eligible for streamlined student visa processing you are not assigned an assessment level. If you are eligible for streamlined student visa processing you will generally have reduced evidentiary requirements when applying for a student visa.

For Further Information on studying in Australia or for information about student visa, contact: Delta Educare Nepal or write to us at